Friday, March 27, 2009

A Necklace Strung by a Princess

Not long ago I was asked to speak at a women's luncheon. It was several hours away from home so I was packed and head west to my God assignment. The luncheon went well. I told my honey that no one threw tomatoes (which could have happened since some had salads). It was, as always, a time that God not only wrote the talk but stood their lovingly beside me and supported me. For those of you that know we well, you know that I am not the "up front" person in our family. So when God calls me out and off the bleachers (my cheering position for my family members) I am trusting solely in God's provision and faithfulness. He never fails to be faithful to the call.


The next day after the speaking engagement I spent it with some of our family in the town where I was speaking. My husband came in and went spent the night there so that we could join a family celebration we had been invited to attend.


While getting dressed one of our granddaughters wanted to help me dress. This is a "special time" I have with my grandgirls. They watch me put on my makeup and we visit and sometimes if parents say it all right, they get a make-up do as well.


I had just put on my Daughters of the King cross necklace when one of my granddaughters asked is she could string a necklace for me to wear that day. Of course she could!!! She asked if she could put it on for me, which she did. I loved the selection and wore it proudly all day.


After the celebration, my honey and I head back east since we had our contemporary worship service to attend. Both of us are on the music team and my honey was preaching that night.


It wasn't until I arrived home and sat at my dressing table that I noted the necklace that my granddaughter had strung for me. When I looked in the mirror and saw it, it truly took my breath away. There it was so simple yet so powerful was 2 crosses with a heart in the middle. As I placed my hand over the necklace my heart soared and I truly couldn't speak. It was amazing that this young daughter of the Most High King would place the items on the necklace in the order she did...a heart with a cross on either side.


So long ago on a lonely hill there were two crosses with "love" in the middle. I couldn't help but smile as I thought of the scripture in Isaiah which says, "And a little child shall lead them."


If we listen and pay close attention to our children and grandchildren, they are speaking and re-inacting love of God for each of us. Let us not be so busy with our day-to-day activities that we miss this simple but eternal acts of love!


1 comment: