Monday, February 21, 2011

Day 6 - Flat Iron Captivity - Too Wired To Cook?

There are those defining moments in one's life when one discovers that she is WAY over-her-head in something. One readily realizes this when one looks in the mirror (literally) and says to herself, "Self, you are in deep do-do!"
Here are the facts: I want to be updated...mind you - not made over...just updated. That is what I told Dana (my stylist) when I visited her a few weeks back. Dana (NOTE: Professional people really mean this but it only applies to them),"No problem," she smiled and went to work. It was fasinating to watch - a real professional she is. First the shampoo, then trimming off the edges, layering here and there. I watched with great interest. Then, she did it! Dana pulled out - that foreign thing I have heard so much about and only seen others use - the flat iron. As Dana administered the flat iron to my hair, the hair responded well. I admitted to Dana that I didn't know how to use it. Being the professional she is, she gave me a quick lesson. It didn't seem all that hard, after all, you put in your hair and you pull it through right? Or was it you put it in your hair and kinda turn it a bit? Not to worry, I was sure that I could master this instrument of glamor in no time. Confidence high as I drove home from the salon, I made the decision to purchase a flat iron of my very own! And I did...not an expensive one but one that seemed to be "the middle of the road."
Who knew the middle of the road for me was like the rack track at Talladega!!! The picture to the left is of our daughter and her family at Halloween. Please note EK in the race car driver uniform. EK very much wants to be a race car driver or a rock star when she is grown. Pictured is her mom, dad (her Pit Crew) and her older sister.
So here I am, in the middle of the race track of fashion. There is no checkered flag to wave me forward. The only flags I see waving at me or either red and yellow...especially when I begin to read the back of the flat iron box. This quote from the back of the box, "this make take practice." So, is that a relative question or just an informative statement?
Again, confidence high, I washed and dried my hair and then plugged in the flat iron. As I am plugging in the flat iron the thought crossed ever so quickly through my mind, "So why all the settings? Can't it just be on and off like the old curling irons?" Again, taking the middle of the road, I sit down at my dressing table, look into mirror, speak these words out loud, "There is no doubt about it! You really are in deep do-do!" But, I laugh at do-do! I have raised 3 children, survived more pets than is in the peaceable kingdom and have 7 grandchildren. What is a little do-do? Really???
Flat iron in hand, the process begins...slowly, I might add because every few minutes, I pick up the directions to make sure I am following them correctly. Finally all my hair that could be captured has miraculously made it through the flat iron. I shake my hair loosely (don't think there is a ton here) and run my fingers through it...after all, that's what Dana does to make it take shape. Hoping for the best, I lift up my head and gaze into the mirror. Unfortunately, my hair is not even close to what it looked like when Dana used the flat iron. In fact, the shape it took was more like a cross between a reverse Alphafa and hair that had been electrically shocked. It appears that enough electricity had been applied to my hair that I was quite sure Centerpoint suffered a rolling black-out on their grid. Making an assessment of my hair, it is safe to say it is full...really full. The strands were quite friendly looking because each strand was standing on its end and waving at another strands. Would that I could tell you that they were standing and waving in the same direction, but that simply would not be true. Pushing back my chair from the dressing table, I make my way to Steve's home office. He is occupied at his computer and does not see me enter. I stand in the doorway wondering how to phrase a question that will NOT make him feel threatend if he answers it in the wrong way. So, I quietly say, "Babe." He looks up and if I could have captured his expression, it might have been a dictionary perfect picture of, "Oh, Crap!" Being the ever gentle man that he is, he quickly regained what composure he could muster. Thinking it would be the most prudent choice, he waits for me to speak. I am pretty sure he is praying, "Oh, God, what has she done?" Or..."Oh, God, I could certainly use some help with my wording !"
I smile to reassure him that he is not in jeopardy and pose this scenario: "Honey, " I begin, "I need to go out to the grocery store and run some other errands." To this statement he nods his head, still silent I may add. "And," I continue, " I need to know if my hair looks as bad as I think it does. I just tried to use the flat iron and I am not sure that I have the hang of it."
You see this is a good start because it immediately shifts the blame of anything he is about to say back to my lack of skill in the use of a flat iron. He is quiet for more than a few moments. He clears his throat and says, "Well, Honey, it doesn't look bad, it is just not your style." You have to love this man! Is he good or what? I offer another scenario, "Honey, do you think it might look better if I use the electric rollers instead?" To that, this honorable man said, "Well, Baby, if that makes you feel better then by all means do that." Which, is exactly what I did.
I want you to know that I have not been beaten by this instrument from hell. I will master it...but in the meantime, let's cook!
This recipe is one from Nani's Test Kitchen. What that means is that this is it is a first-time recipe and you get the first dibs on it. If you have a suggestion for a name for this recipe, by all means, let me know. For now, let's just called it Penne Casserole. From the photo to the right you will note the ingredients needed for the recipe. With that being said, I did add some chopped chives after I had snapped the photo of ingredients. These are the ingredients and measurements:

1 1/2 jars Black Olive and capers Pasta Sauce*
(or whatever Pasta Sauce flavor you like)
1 1/2 cup Asiago Shredded Cheese
1 1/2 cup Grated Parmesan Cheese
1 lb. 96/4 Extra Lean Ground Beef
1 lb. Fresh Italian Sausage (same size pkg as ground beef)
Garlic Infused Olive Oil
Crushed Peppercorn & Garlic (Pampered Chef Seasoning) to taste
Coarse Sea & Himaylian Salt (to taste)
1 box Penne Rigate (16 oz.)
1/2 cup chopped chives

Using silicon basting brush, brush Covered Deep Dish Baker with Garlic Infused Olive Oil. Place meats, peppercorn & garlic seasoning, salt and chopped chives in Covered Deep Dish Baker. Brown meat in microwave for 11 minutes. Midway through, stop and break up meat with the mix and chop so the meat will cook evenly. Cook until the meat is no longer pink. Drain and set aside.
In the meantime, cook the Penne Pasta according to the directions on the back of the box of Pasta. Once cooked, drain and set aside.
Divid pasta and meat mixture in half. With each half, you will layer in this order, pasta, meat (drained), pasta sauce then 1/2 of the Asiago and Parmesan Cheese. Top second layer with the cheeses. Once assembled, you may place the Covered Deep Dish Baker in microwave and heat until casserole is heated through and cheese is melted.
*I used one jar of pasta sauce in this recipe, but it really needed more to make it more juicy. You may also bake in a 350 degree oven until casserole is heated throughly and cheese is melted. Grated parmesan may be added once the casserole is served on the plate.
You may serve with a salad, fresh sour dough bread
(see recipe for bread in my last posting).
And...until we meet again - Peace out!


4 comments:

Unknown said...

Seriously, there is no picture! We need pictures!

Unknown said...

I so agree. We need pictures.

Nani's Place said...

I would have taken a picture but my hair would not all fit in the frame of the pic - truly it was that big. It was frightening and funny all at the same time. Truly Dana can sleep well at night knowing that her future is secure as my stylist - for life!!!

C. said...

Mom, I think you should come to EK's party with your new style...just so we can see it in person! Love it!