Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Breakfast with Jesus

It began just like the last few mornings…quiet! As I try to find the rhythm in the change of our schedule I feel as though I am floundering – lost and not sure how to do. The change involves my honey leaving long before daybreak. Now I wake to an empty house and a sad puppy. The minute I open our bedroom door, Maggie Moo (really…officially…truthfully her name is Magnolia Isabella Ferguson) but we call her Maggie Moo. Maggie Moo has these piercing eyes kinda like a Ewok from Star Wars. You can’t help but love that dog!
Sorry, I digress…bedroom door opens and Maggie Moo is like a race horse at the sound of the gun, she is off and running. All too soon she discovers that her two-legged daddy is no where to be found. Almost slinking back to the kitchen where she finds me, she looks at me as if she could speak. And this is what her expression appears to say, “You again?” Yes, I have to admit I am not nearly as fun as her two-legged daddy but it is what it is…and I am all she has…might as well contend with and move on. I amble about the front of the house for a few minutes and realize – hey, I can make breakfast! Although there is a MacDonald’s less than a couple of miles away, there is great satisfaction in hearing the skillet come off the pot rack overhead and resting on the stove. Breakfast is about to happen! To complete the meal I grab a bottle of water from the outside frig and head back to the stove. Once the meal is ready, I settle into a chair at the kitchen table, prop my feet on the table’s curved legs and turn on my Kindle. The Kindle powers on and there awaiting me is my daily devotion, “Jesus is Calling” by Sarah Young. What I love about the Kindle version of this book of devotions is that at the end of each day’s reading the entire scripture is include - just the book, chapter and verse of the scriptures. I bow my head, pray and wait. Something is missing…someone is missing. I look at the chair next to me. It is empty…or maybe it’s not… Before we downsized and moved to our present home, I had a special place in our den where I met Jesus every morning. There were two chairs that sat close to each other tucked away in the corner of the room. I sat in one and I left the other chair vacant for Jesus. Before I could read my devotion, the memory of my prayer chair and my meeting place with Jesus came to mind. I looked over at the empty chair at the table and think, “Why not? Breakfast with Jesus!” Quoting a line from a long ago television show called “The A-Team” (sorry youngsters – for you who haven’t a clue about the A-Team - look for it on re-runs), I smile and quote the ever popular line from the series, “I love it when a plan comes together!” That means that the outcome is good for those involved. So, that is my plan…in the quite of the early morning, I am planning on breakfast with Jesus. All of a sudden the house doesn’t seem empty at all! God is good! Breakfast, hurry! I can’t wait to see what Jesus has to say!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

So sweet how He uses the empty spaces to make more room for Him