Thursday, December 30, 2010

Listening Ears

What a hoot! I love a 5 year's perspective! One of my grandgirls is pictured here. She and her family came to spend a couple of days with us after Christmas.

As in our tradition of motor vehicle records, Nani's car is the car to ride in when you are going places. Aside from the DVD, etc. conversation is important.

Such was the case on this day! EK asked if she could ride back to Nani's house in Nani's car. Her older sister wanted to ride with her parents because she had just spent over 3 hours in the car with her younger sibling. An older sibling truly needed her space!!!

EK and my conversation began with the usual Christmas conversation - how are you, did you have a good Christmas, etc. EK answered sadly, "Yes, I did have a good Christmas and no, I didn't get everything I wanted." To that, my ears perked up and I quizzed as to what present was missing from her list?

She said that she had ALWAYS wanted a Pillow Pet. Now mind you, I didn't even know what a Pillow Pet was until November of this year. However, this is something EK wanted - badly!!!! In fact, according to EK, she was even given the opportunity to earn a Pillow Pet. Now I am not talking about an average Pillow Pet. I am referring to a white unicorn with a pink horn or a blue dolphin Pillow Pet. Yes, they do make all kinds...apparently...

"Well, EK, what happened? Did you earn it?" I asked. She shook her head, "No, Nani, I didn't earn it, " she replied - now very, very sad. "What happened that you didn't earn your Pillow Pet, EK?" I asked. She began, "Well, Nani, I just couldn't keep me LISTENING EARS on. They kept going off and on...off and on. So, I didn't get to earn one." (Now lip is stuck out and face very, very sad.)

I have to say that it took all my restraint and strength not to swerve off the road from laughing so hard. Trying to mourn with EK over this loss, I replied, "Well, EK, you know, Nani has that same problem." She looked up with a smile and said, "Nani, how is it that you don't have your listening ears on?" "Well, EK," I answered, "sometimes Nani chooses not to listen. You know, EK, maybe you and I need to work on that." So, we agreed we would do just that!

Have to say when her mom snapped this picture, EK had had her listening ears on the whole time. We had just completed a test recipe in her Nani's Test Kitchen of Brownie Covered Oreos. Not only was EK a tremendous help with mixing the ingredients, she was more than willing to help clean up the utensils - licking them clean!

And, in case you were worried about the "missing" Pillow Pet - thankfully it was wrapped along with some ladybug slippers and awaiting EK when she arrived at her Nani and Saba's house.

Love the time with all my grandchildren. Wish there was a way to bottle the memories so that I could pull them out on rainy days - oh, wait, there is...my heart!

1 comment:

EMur said...

"Listening Ears" seems like the perfect thing for ME to work on for 2011, too! Love yours' and EK's story.
Susan