Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Let 'em Eat Cake!

Okay, tomorrow is Administrative Assistance Day and we love our Cheryl. She is the best thing that has happened to us in a long time. Making sure that I remembered that Cheryl LOVES carrot cake with Cream Cheese Icing, months ago I noted in my calendar to make her a carrot cake for Admin. Asst. Day. Plan A -good, until...

The timer chimed and I checked the cake. Perfect! Cake was ready to come out of the oven and to be turned onto the cooling rack. I was in the process of doing just that when the cooling rack caught on my blouse. I was literally hung between the cake pan, the cooling rack and the cabinet.

Calling for help over my shoulder to my honey to no avail as he is watching television. The struggle between me, the cooling rack and the steaming cake pan is growing with great intensity with every passing minute. In a final yelp for help, my honey finally hears me...only...it was too late. As we watch in horror (kind of like watching a train wreck), the cake slides seamlessly out of the pan but breaks apart (in multiple pieces) onto the cabinet. Does "never mind" come to mind? I'm just asking...

My honey, now on point, has made an assessment of the situation and suggests that we put toothpicks in the cake to hold it together. After all, once it is iced, who would know...I'm thinking toothpicks sticking out an inch from the iced cake is very telling, but what do I know? Or better still, hey, why not use that toothpicks to get that last bit of carrots out of your teeth once your through with the cake! Where is that bottle of wine?????

After icing the cake, the toothpicks firmly in place, I stand back to see how this episode will unfold. Not good! Toothpicks now make the cake look like a melting sputnik... “Could it get any worse?", you ask yourself!

I now take OUT the toothpicks and stand back to assess the damage. Hmmmmm...after allowing the cake to "rest" on the decorative and colorful plate that I had selected as part of her gift, the cake now looks like a lava cake...not good!

Thankfully, my honey has passed through the kitchen disaster area and is now ready to make another assessment by saying, "Why not put sprinkles on it. No one will notice." Doubting that even a novice baker would miss the growing craters forming in the cake, I retrieve "Spring Design" sprinkles from the pantry. I "generously" sprinkle the cake with tiny multi-color butterfly sprinkles...

Hmmmm...now the cake looks like it has been attacked by psychedelic gnats and has imploded from the weight of the swarm! Not pretty!!!

Not to be without a good idea nor does he seem to fear the deranged woman standing at the kitchen counter armed with a spoon and a spreader, my honey again makes another pass through the kitchen epicenter and adds this comment, "Who knew that cream cheese frosting could double as glue?" After that he left the kitchen...

The imploded psychedelic gnat covered cake is now covered with a Tupperware lid. You remember those from the olden days - those puppies could take a nuclear blast? Determination as to the fate of the cake is yet to be determined. However, my honey has offered to eat the evidence and buy her a store bought cake. Now that is plan I can work with...

No comments: