Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Prayer Walking


Years ago (probably close to 6 or so) I was reading a Christian fiction by Ted Dekker. I believe the name of the book is called, “Heaven’s Wager.” Won’t spoil the plot, but the book validated something that the Lord had been pressing upon my heart for some time. And, as only God can do, He confirmed His leading through Joyce Meyers! I mean really, okay, got the point already.

That is where the prayer walking began. Each morning I would pull on my tennis shoes and head out the door to pray and walk our neighborhood. It did not take long for the people living in the houses on my prayer walk began to take on special prayer requests.

A back injury interrupted the prayer walking followed by a move to a different neighborhood. Back surgery followed the move and then knee-replacement. At the end of last year, I left my employment to pursue a new future…one that only God knew.

For the past couple of weeks, the call to prayer walk began anew. It was time. So, this morning as I walked in the early morning, it was glorious. Although the sun stayed behind the clouds, it didn’t matter. The clouds were showing off with a huge display of colors. The sun added to the panorama and I felt God was very near.

House after house I passed and God pressed for me to pray…yes, please give peace to this neighbor. She just lost her husband last month. Oh, and yes, please be with us young mother who has miscarried and wants desperately to have another baby. And…the list went on.

Prayer walking is holy. It is a time that a prayer warrior can storm the Heavens with his/her prayers.

On my last loop it began to sprinkle light drops of rain. Couldn’t help but smile as we need rain and spiritually our hearts are dry. So, as I watched the raindrops hit the pavement in front of me, I prayed, “Lord, reign in me.”

I will be ready to meet God on the street and share the morning with Him. Prayer walking is good! Can’t wait until tomorrow!

No comments: