Saturday, October 30, 2010

The Road Less Traveled

The last day of our stay at the cabin was a sad one. Neither

Steve nor I were ready to head back to the city. The quiet which we had readily embraced in the cabin was ending sooner than we desired. There has been a holy safety into this place of respite. No cell phone signals made their way to this remote area. We were surrounded only by the dense woods, deer, rabbits, and birds of all sorts. During our stay at the cabin, when we went out onto the front porch, we were greeted by the steady and gusty wind and leaves blowing in all directions. It was strange as we watched this daily waltz of the wind and the leaves. Always taking the lead, the wind would gently move the leaves from their branches with a sweet release. Then, the waltz began. What a site this was to us.

My departure from the cabin for the last time was often interrupted because I would stop my vehicle to watch the leaves dance in a circle as the wind directed them this way and then that way. It was like watching a waltz in nature. They did not need music. The wind knew the way.

Slowly I drove toward the highway. Could I make this stay last any longer? Each time I paused I would listen to the woods and attempt to capture what I saw on film. Yes, I am one of those who still uses film.

Was sure that I had seen the last of what God wanted me to see when in the bend of the road I saw it...this road less traveled. I literally stopped in the middle of the road (you can do that in these piney woods). Quietly I sat in my car with the window down and just looked at this road. I have no idea where this road ended. What I knew for sure was that this road had not been traveled in a while. There were no tire tracks, no dust from a recent vehicle. The pine straw and leaves lay quietly in place waiting to greet the next traveler.

Why would God show me this road this day? Was God preparing me to again take a road "less traveled?" Did God want to show me this road so that I would remember the feeling of peace and holiness of this road?

Where are you leading me, Lord? No, I am not afraid to go. I have seen the road and know that it is safe because God have met me there and again He will lead me.

Have you been asked to travel a road "less traveled?" If not, ask God to take you on that adventure. Don't be afraid. God is with you!

I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence;
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I...
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.
By Robert Frost

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Oh, I can almost smell the air! I'm so glad you were able to find rest and peace in that place and I pray that it follows you home.