Monday, January 24, 2011

Angel Flying Close to the Ground

Saturday was a great day in the Kingdom! Steve and I participated in a Ragball Tournament Fundraiser. It was truly an amazing day! It seemed from the number of the cars and people that everyone thought this was the place to be. To explain how really huge this was, when Steve and I arrived, we stopped to ask directions from a local policeman as to what field the tournament was being held. He waved his hand across the entire area (this was on both sides of the complex) and said, "All of this is for Mike." It was like that the entire day - all of it was for Mike.

Steve and I were part of the CMA (Christian Motorcycle Association) team. I wouldn't say that we were among the oldest players but we were, by far, NOT the youngest! So you can imagine my shock when we hit the field ("we" being the corporate we) and our players moved into position. I watched Steve move across the field in his gentle stride. My assignment was to capture this day on film and as Steve said, "Sit and look pretty."

The clock struck 10 a.m. and the game began. Batter up!!! It seemed that the ball seemed to slip through the wind in slow motion. Within seconds the batter and the ball connected! The sound was unmistakable - game is on!

Steve was covering first base. To my joy, the man caught the ball! Really - full and solid that yellow ragball nestled into Steve's glove like the perfect fit it was. Then, something went terrible wrong. It is said that a picture is worth a 1,000 words. So you tell me...what do you think? Unaware that I caught this shot my camera left the sports shot position and froze in the air - just like this shot. I'm so glad that that I didn't get the succession of the "freeze frame" shots that followed Steve's landing to the ground. There was an audible gasp from the crowd and all I could do was pray. Steve quickly got up and dusted himself off. Steve reported proudly that he was the only player on the team that "looked" like he had played ball! Could it have been the dirt that lingered on the bill of his cap, the front of his shirt, down the legs of his jeans and crusted on his shoes? Dana, Mike's wife and I both nearly cried. Dana quickly exclaimed, "Nobody is suppose to get hurt!" Well, tell that to the flying Ferguson man over there hovering over and around first base!


Here is Mike, Steve and Mike's mother-in-law (Janice - our bud). Mike was out on the field early that morning, threw the first ball and then move around thanking people for coming. Is he amazing or what??? If you can read the sticker that is on Mike's shirt it says, "Brain tumors suck!"

At your first glimpse of Mark (in wheelchair) you are thrilled beyond words that this young man came out to play on one of the teams. Mark batted, got walked (yes he did!) and played short-stop in the field position. It wasn't until later when we played against his and Dana's team that I learned Mark is blind! Wanted to share this amazing player's time at the bat with you. Dana (Mike's honey) played on the same team with Mark. She and other team members took turns rolling Mark out onto the field, to the batter's square and even ran the bases with him!


This photo is the CMA group that made up one of the 37 teams that played. Please note there are some "young" ones in the group. I like to call these sweet angels "merciful." They took one look at our group and asked, "Do you need extra players?" What do you think?


Lastly, here I am sitting and looking at a pretty baby boy. This is Adam Michael...named after the first man, a tail-kicking Archangel in Scripture and also named for his dad. Is he just the cutest thing ever???

It was one of the days that when the sun set, you were sad. It had been a day of goodness, goodwill and holy love. Can't help but think that Heaven was watching and smiling a lot.

Seeing my honey, the "Flying Ferguson" brought a song to mind...and you who know me know this had to be a God-thing because I don't do country-western music. But the words to this sound kept playing over and over in my mind. The song (you will not believe it, I know) is by Willie Nelson and is called "Angel Flying Too Close to the Ground."

For those of you who participated in Mike's Ragball Tournament, thank you! You blessed this family more you and I will ever know on this side of Heaven. Available at the tournament were grey bracelets that read, "Pray for Mike - Matt. 19:26." That is the scripture that Mike claims and wants us to join him and his family in praying for him.

If you are interested in more information about Mike, you can check my blog for an earlier posting or you can leave me a comment and I will respond to you. Finally, if you feel called to make a difference in this sweet and precious family's lives, Wells Fargo Bank has an account for the Mike Gill Cancer Fund. Most of all, we ask your prayers. In my earlier posting "My Dad's Has Cancer?" you will see the importance of prayer to this family. It is their lifeline.

We may not know what tomorrow holds, but we KNOW who holds tomorrow!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

a joyful day indeed!

Maria.

Unknown said...

So glad that there was so much support-on and off the field. Prayers for healing and comfort!

Natalie said...

What a fun day and what a scrumptious little baby..:)

Natalie at Mommy on Fire
http://www.mommyonfire.com

It's Grace said...

I absolutely LOVE that song!!!

:)Erin

EMur said...

"Angel flying too close to the ground" describes Steve perfectly!

Tiffini said...

where do you guys live anyway?lol
It looks so nice and warm there. We still have snow!
I once did that very same thing on a tennis court trying to hit a ball...glad no one got a snapshot of me:)
you have a beautiful family by the way!

C. said...

I can't believe dad is still so nimble...awesome photography skills, mom!