Monday, January 17, 2011

More Than A Tradition - Dorlene's Enchildas

As promised each week I will be featuring a recipe. This week's recipe is a family recipe. To say it has been in our family for more than 40+ years is a safe statement to make. This recipe first appeared on my menu when I was a mere young bride.
One of my favorite of Steve's uncles was Bo Ferguson. He and his wife, Dorlene, just barely ten years our senior, took me in and lovingly showed me the ropes to being a member of the Ferguson family. Bo was ever the kidder and loved to joke around. He was also a betting man when it came to food. Right after I first met Bo, he challenged this LOUISIANA girl that he could out eat her in shrimp. Well, let me just say that Bo Ferguson met his match and then some. He learned there were certain things that a Louisiana girl could out do him. There were many good times and plenty of joyful moments shared between Bo and Dorlene and their family and Steve and me. One of the first things Dorlene taught me to make was her enchiladas.
Dorlene's enchiladas were a thing of beauty - not only to look at but to taste. Bo would even eat them cold (not my way of eating them. He definitely had me beat there). We spent our first New Year's with Bo and Dorlene and their family and that tradition lasted until Bo passed away.
There is something to be said about a tradition - but this was more than that. It was a time we all looked forward to sharing. Christmas was almost anti-climatic compared to spending time in Vicksburg with Bo and Dorlene.
I guess that is why time is my kitchen has always been a special place to me...especially when family is around. I try to make it memorable (short of fire in the kitchen or some other calamity like that). Each moment spent with family in our kitchen continues to be holy. There is much to be said about family in the kitchen.
Each time I know that our children, grandchildren, and other family and friends are planning on a visit, I ask the same question: "What would you like for me to prepare for you?" And, sometimes a special dish is requested and sometimes it isn't. Just spending time in the kitchen is enough because we know it is going to be fun.
With our grandchildren, I've tried to institute a new tradition. That is each time they come, we cook something in Nani's kitchen. Such was the time when our Louisiana grandchildren came and we tested a "Molten Lava Cake." It was so much fun wearing the goggles, aprons, and pretending to be in a test kitchen trying out a potential recipe. Then there was the time we tested "Brownie Covered Oreos." Or the time we made reindeer cookies out of M & M's and sugar cookies. What fun we had!
So has it been with each family that visited - a different recipe - and best of all, a fun time had by all. You see a tradition has to be more than just a tradition in order for it to last. It has to have a heart to it. It needs to speak of joy, fun, fellowship and most of all love. The memories shared in making a tradition count is timeless. The "Do you remember when...." followed by laughter is what makes a tradition timeless. It lives on in the hearts of those that share it. With all that said, may you resolve to make your time with your family and friends more than a tradition...make it a life-memory that just thinking about it will bring a smile for years to come. Here goes - Dorlene's Enchiladas Recipe.
Thanks, Dorlene, for helping me make this our family tradition. Your legend still lives on...

Dorlene's Enchiladas


For every dozen enchiladas, you will need the following:
1 lb. ground beef (we use lean 96/4)
Salt and Pepper to taste
1 small can chopped ripe olives
2 slices Velveeta Cheese
1 can Wolf Brand Chili without beans (this is the best brand)
1/4 cup finely chopped onions
1 dozen corn tortillas (or flour) - I make flour for the girls and corn for the boys (Yes, I do!)
1 package of Mexican Shredded Cheese


Brown ground beef with fresh chopped onions adding salt and pepper to taste. Drain off any liquid. To a skillet, add drained ground beef with onions, ripe olives and Velveeta Cheese . Mix in skillet until cheese is melted and then set aside.
In a saucepan, add chili with 1/2 can of water. If not enough water, add a little more until the chili is just barely runny.
Warm tortillas either in a microwave between moistened paper towels or on a griddle. Dip individual tortillas into chili and then place in an oblong baking dish that has been sprayed with PAM. Spoon meat mixture onto tortilla and then roll, placing tortilla seam side down in baking dish. Repeat process until baking dish is full.
Top enchiladas with remaining chili. Sprinkle cheese over the chili. Bake at 350 degrees until cheese is melted and enchiladas are bubbling. You can make ahead, cover and freeze! Great leftovers!!

Little did we know at the time this picture was taken that Bo would leave us in a little over 6 years. He fought the good fight and won and waits for us at the best of all places - the Lord's table.
It may seem like just a simple recipe to you, but to us who share it and enjoy it, it is a tradition...it is family...it is love.
"I thought you gone. You were no
more...but then I remembered your smile...
and there you were...right where I could find you...in my heart!"
(Left to right) Bo, Sandy and Steve

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Yes, time in the kitchen is such a great tradition, even for those of us who don't like to cook. What a sweet story!

Amy Sullivan said...

What a great picture. I love old photos! Thanks for sharing your story, and your yummy recipe!

EMur said...

I agree. Cooking together makes some of the best memories.

Anonymous said...

Yes, the kitchen is really the heart of the home. I spend so much time in this room :-)

M.

Tiffini said...

I am sooo hungry...I loved & miss cooking with my grandma. That is what we always did together! AND a recipe....yummy!

C. said...

Mom, thanks for sharing these memories with us. It's a precious legacy.