Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Taco Bean Soup


Winter is finally here!!! It is a breezy 41 degrees. It is suppose to be in the high 20's tonight and tomorrow in the high 30's. For a girl who is used to 70+ weather, this is a great time to pull out the soup recipes, bundle up with a great book or finish those indoor projects that have waited for such a time as this!
Thought I would share one of our family favorites. It is a hearty soup and very filling. This is also better the day after you prepare it and also freezes nicely. We serve it with either cornbread muffins or tortilla chips (Tia Rosa). To dress it up you can add a dallop of sour cream, sliced guacamole and by all means do add the grated cheedar cheese! Here you go! Enjoy!!!

Saute' and brown: 2 lbs ground beef (I used 96/4 lean ground beef) and 2 medium onions (chopped)

Once the meat is no longer pink and the onions are clear, drain and add to your stew pot. To the meat mixture add the following items - juice and all! (That means don't drain the juice from any of the canned items.) Add: 1 can Mexican stewed tomatoes (if you want a snappy taste - add 2 cans Rotel tomatoes); 1 can chopped green chilies (mild); 1 can Ranch Style Beans; 1 can whole kernel corn; 1 can garbanzo beans, 1 can hominy (white or yello); 1 can black-eyed peas; 1 package taco seasoning.

Simmer over a low heat for about an hour to allow flavors to blend. Stir occasionally to make sure the mixture does not stick. You can serve this immediately or refrigerate and microwave individual bowls the next day. Always a hit! Enjoy!!!!!!!!!!!

3 comments:

EMur said...

Now my mouth is watering---that looks so delicious! We have a forecast for 10-15 inches of snow, so I wish I had this in my freezer.
Susan

Nani's Place said...

Can't imagine. I am whining about the upper 20's tonight!!! Have our fireplace going and working on my Bible study homework. Already had hot chocolate! How do you stay warm???? This really is a great receipe. In fact, it is one of Carrie's favorites. It is the receipe the kids expect on Wednesday before Thanksgiving as they all travel home to Nani and Saba's and all want to eat when they get there! It stays warm in the crock pot and corn bread muffins are ready to butter and nute in the microwave. Life is good!

Libby said...

Sandy!! I am so glad I found your blog! :) I will love keeping up with you and your sweet family this way! This soup sounds delicious (and easy, which is good for me, ha ha!)--I will definitely be making it soon!! Thanks for sharing your yummy recipes!!