Monday, May 9, 2011

Broken but not Beaten

It is said that a picture is worth a thousand words. This picture could fully describe the emotions I felt when diagnosed with inoperable bone cancer. Steve was in his middler year of seminary. After numerous tests, x-rays and doctors of all descriptions, the diagnosis was given. I remember looking outside the window of my doctor's office at the sidewalk and street below. It seemed almost comical that nothing appeared to be disrupted by the diagnosis of my doctors. Traffic continued to move. People seemed unaffected because they were walking on the sidewalk talking, laughing...how could it be? It was though I was in a "freeze frame" and could not find the restart button or better still - the STOP button!!! This could not be happening! The doctor returned to the treatment room and handed me a stack of papers to take with me to the hospital. Still in shock, I explained that to him his diagnosis was incorrect and besides, my daughter had a visitor's weekend at a college in Lubbock. We were packed and ready to leave as soon as I returned home from the doctor's appointment. The doctor told me that the only trip I would be taking was to the hospital to be admitted - immediately!!
Phone calls were made, arrangements completed and I was admitted to the hospital that afternoon. Instead of being on the road trip my daughter and I had long anticipated, I was being poked and prodded and x-rayed. Without the testing done, I waited in my room for my family to arrive. Hearing my son sob in the hallway outside my room was past heartbreaking. When he made his way into the room, I held him in my arms and assured him that all would be well. The staff , faculty and students of the seminary were stellar! They supported us with their presence and their prayers. Still, in my heart-of-hearts, I knew that the diagnosis was wrong. I kept telling my hematologist/oncologist, Dr. Ekins, that I knew my body. It was not cancer! After many tests and many prayers, the diagnosis was changed from inoperable bone cancer to "Protein 'S' Deficiency. It would be years before we knew the impact of the diagnosis, but God was faithful to answer my prayers. This deficiency is a genetic disorder which meant there was a possibility that our children carried it, too. Thank God, testing proved that again, God had answered my prayer. All three children were free and clear of the disorder! The deficiency was not passed on to our children. And since it is not possible for the disease to skip a generation, our future generations were safe. Praise God!
Over the years, living with this disorder could have made me angry and bitter. This is a disease that is treatable but (without a miracle from God) is not curable. However, God has given me an opportunity to use each time an "event" has threatened to take me. Truly, now, when I am headed to the hospital or the doctors' offices, I can't help but wonder, "God, what are you up to today?" Without an exception, each time I have been hospitalized or had to make numerous trips for tests, there is always an opportunity for me to witness to either a hospital or lab staff, an attending doctor/nurse or another patient. You may not have an incurable disease, but is there something that you are living with that sometimes feels like it will overtake you? As children of God, we have within each of us the power to overcome any obstacle!




"But we have this treasure in jars of clay, to show that the surpassing power belongs to God and not to us.We are afflicted in every way, but not crushed; perplexed, but not driven to despair; persecuted, but not forsaken, struck down, but not destroyed; always carrying in the body the death of Jesus, so that the life of Jesus may also be manifested in our bodies."



2 Corinthians 4:7-10



May is the month that Pampered Chef has designated to "Whip Cancer." There are "pink" products available only during this month and proceeds from these products go to the American Cancer Society. While being diagnosed with an incurable disease is not a choice...how you live it out is! For the remainder of the month of May, I will be sharing with you stories of people who are heroes of the the highest caliber!

Each of these heroes have been diagnosed with cancer. Their stories are how they chose to live their lives as "Overcomers!" It will be my honor and privilege to share these heroic stories of these people who have impacted my faith and how each of them have chosen to live each day.
Are you an overcomer? Do you know an overcomer? Be blessed and join me as we honor them this month!
For the remainder of the month of May, will be a story of an overcomer and will also feature a recipe from the Pampered Chef's "Whip Cancer Cookbook." Today's recipe is a personal favorite because it features the 12" family-size skillet. Love that you can go from stove top to oven! Enjoy



Chocolate-Strawberry Skillet Cake
1 pkg (18.25 oz) devil's food cake mix (plus ingredients)
1 tablespoon butter or margarine
2 squares (1 ounce each) semi-sweet chocolate for baking
1 ½ cups thawed strawberry whipped topping

1 cup sliced strawberries


Preheat oven to 350° F. Prepare cake mix according to package directions in a bowl; beat until smooth. Melt butter in a skillet over medium heat, tilting skillet to coat bottom. Gently pour batter over bottom of skillet, spreading evenly.


Bake, uncovered, 30-35 minutes or until cake tester inserted in center comes out clean. Carefully remove to cooling rack. Loosen edges of cake and carefully invert cake onto heat-proof serving plate. Cool Completely.


Chop chocolate using Food Chopper. Place chopped chocolate and butter in Small Micro Cooker. Microwave on high for 2 min. or until butter is melted. Stir until chocolate is completely melted.


Top with the whipped topping using Large Spreader or Easy Accent Decorator, garnish with strawberries, drizzle chocolate over cake. Let stand until chocolate is set. Store leftover cake in refrigerator.

7 comments:

C. said...

Mom, it's still tough to read about this. You captured it eloquently...but I have a question. What happened in the picture? Is Maggie in the dog house?

Nani's Place said...

Actually, it was me. I had picked up the estate wine opener and didn't see the wine bottle on it. It slide off and into my rose bowl. The sad thing is this was my goodbye gift from the Diocese of Texas when I left as Diocesan President. Once I got over the shock of what happened, it reminded me that it is a thing and not a person. Keeping the right perspective helped ease the lost. Maggie was so glad it wasn't her!

Unknown said...

My first thought when I saw the picture was, "I'm so glad my girls weren't the culprits!" So sorry that you lost the bowl, but even God used that to help with a blog post!

stephanie said...

You have so much strength!!! I am so glad to find your blog! I can't wait to hear more of your story...

pinks said...

My mom is a survivor. La conquistadora. I'm posting this to her FB and forcing her to read. lol! :) And I agree with Steph, glad to find you.

Anne said...

Precious, precious testimony!! What a Mighty God we serve! :)

Tiffini said...

so thankful it wasn't cancer and that He answers prayers. You are so strong and I have never experienced cancer but my friend Debbie's nine year old has been diagnosed with osteosarcoma..it is just heartbreaking and there just isn't words..
xo