Friday, May 13, 2011

Touching the Screen - Jiffy Cookies (Recipe)

I would not say that Steve and I are what you would call “low tech.” I think we are probably close to “medium tech.” However, according to our grandchildren we are definitely “low tech.” This is confirmed to them each time they desire to use our cell phones to play games or view pictures. You see Saba (Steve) and Nani (that would be me) are the only ones in their family who do not own an IPhone. We are Blackberry/Verizon Wireless people. The “Low Tech” comes into play every time they want to look at our pictures or play a game (Really, Nani, is Brickbreaker the only game you have? Still???) on our cell phones. I can’t help but laugh as I watch the frustration of the each of our grandchild as he/she touches the screen of a picture stored on our cell phone, and moves his/her finger across the screen to advance the picture. The picture remains on the screen and does not advance. Frustration at an all time high, the grandchild promptly returned the cell phone and said, “Nani, (or Saba) your phone isn’t working.” Not sure that we can get Angry Bird on the Blackberry, but that seems to add to the many reasons our grandchildren think we need to turn in our outdated cell phones and get new ones. There is something about touching that screen that appeals to them.

I believe that we humans never lose the desire to touch, to feel, to press against something to bring it to our reality. Please sit back, grab a favorite beverage of choice (mine is Spring Time Tea poured over crushed ice) and step back in time with me. Comfy? Great! Let’s go!


The space was dimly lit. The only light in the darkened room was the stars and moon shining through the overhead skylight/steeple and the sanctuary lamp hanging near the altar. I made my way to a seat close to the front of the church. The church was otherwise empty. In the quiet of the night I knelt and prayed. It wasn’t a prayer that was spoken lightly. It was a forever prayer (I thought) that would “seal the deal” I planned to make with God.


Our children were home safely asleep in their beds, but my heart was troubled. I knew that if I did not “seal the deal” with God, I would never be at peace. We had experienced several “gut wrenching” events as parents. You know, the kind that you never want to experience in the lifetime of your children…a daughter severely burned at the age of 3; multiple trips to the emergency room with a son who loved to live life on the edge, and stitches in more places than I thought possible for 2 young boys!

Tears slipping down my cheeks, I laid it all before the God of all things. I knew I had His ear (as all His children do) and I poured out my hopes, fears and dreams for my children. I have often heard if you want to make God laugh, tell Him your plans. I don’t think God laughed at what I was laying before Him. I think God was sitting on the edge of His throne listening to a mother who was giving up her children to His divine care and control. That was the deal I was making with God. I thanked Him for the three precious lives He had entrusted into my care. I thanked him for their individual personalities, their gifts of talent and their sense of humor sprinkled generously into their lives. I was a blessed mother and I knew it.

So in the silence of the night as I knelt in surrender with a prayer intermingled with tears and joy, I gave over to the Lord of Hosts the care and control of my three children. They were no longer mine, but God’s entrustment to me for however long God deemed. As I left the church that night, I paused for a brief moment, turned and looked back at the cross. I wanted to make it clear that the deal I cut that night was sealed with a promise of hope and faith in a God who loves my children more than I could possibly know or understand. And that same God who I had given ownership of my children would be with them in times when I could not. They belonged to Him and I had them on loan.

Through the years this deal would be tested but I held firm to the promise that my children belonged to God. Day after day, sometimes minute to minute, I would remind myself that each of my children belonged to God. It was not until Desert Storm that my faith in God’s care of my children would be put to the ultimate test.

Desert Storm, while a very public war(viewed on televisions throughout the world) to a watching nation, but a very one personal for me. In September prior to start of the ground war, my husband was deployed as a commander of an emergency operations center in another city in our state. Our oldest son, Chris, was a member of the 101st Airborne Unit that was deployed to Saudi in what seemed minutes from my husband’s departure. His deployment was January 9, 1991 and following his departure were his two older cousins. The three oldest grandsons of our family (a son representing 3 grown children) were stationed in three different areas of Saudi.

Day or night, no matter the time, I was able to find a station that carried the latest news of the war. I kept our television (especially the one in our bedroom) on almost 24-7. It was my prayer that I would be able to see our son and our nephews and know that they were alive. While I had no idea where he was, I knew in my spirit that he was in harm’s way. One morning I was watching the television as it followed a group of young soldiers. My heart went into overdrive at the possibility of seeing our son alive. I just wanted to touch the screen that captured his face and by some miracle, Chris would know that I was praying fervently for him. I wanted desperately to tell him that I loved him and wanted him to come home! He face did not cross the screen. Disappointment was fast to seize the opportunity, but by the grace of God it was stopped in its tracks. An idea touched my heart and pulled me closer to the television as I viewed those young warriors’ faces. I found myself touching face after face, touching the screen and saying a prayer for safety each soldier. I prayed for peace for his/her family and that God would give them all strength during this time of battle (both home and abroad). God reminded me that unlike my child, there were children of other mothers who were not being covered by prayer by a parent. It convicted me to pray for their safety and their salvation with as much fervor as for my own child. Thankfully all three sons (our son and his older counsins) returned home safely.

Since that time in the nave of the church, which seems a lifetime ago, I have dutifully upon the birth of each grandchild given her/him over to God. It is in His care and control I leave the most precious treasures God has placed in my life. What is God asking you to relinquish to His care? What are you holding onto that you need to give over to God? Whether it is a family member, a hurt, disappointment, a fear or a life dream, God can more than handle whatever we entrust to His care. It is the unchangeable Word of God that keeps me anchored when storms of life try to assail me. 2 Timothy 1:12 gives this promise: “…because I know whom I have believed, and am convinced that He is able to guard what I have entrusted to him until that day.” NIV


In honor of a time when life was much simpler, I’m including an old family recipe that remains a family favorite…a right of passage, if you will. This recipe is the one that the children were able to join in and help make it. When, the children reached the maturity of making this recipe on his/her own, it was a definite point of arrival for him/her. To this day, this recipe remains a family favorite of all three of our grown children and has already begun the journey down the line of grandchildren. Please note the cover of the cookbook where I found this recipe. Steve and I think it was when our oldest son, Chris, was in the first grade. As you can see he printed very well!
What makes this recipe so special? Two things: first it was easy and quick to make (hence the name, “Jiffy Cookies” because they can be made in just a jiffy). Second, is this recipe tastes good! By substituting Splenda (measuring the same as sugar) and sugar-free peanut butter, this can be a real tasty and sugar-free treat! The original recipe called for crunchy peanut butter. A variation is to use the creamy peanut butter and throw in some chopped pecans. Or, sometimes you can just leave the nuts out. After all, sometimes you feel like a nut and sometimes you don’t! Either way…Enjoy!!!!




1 stick butter
1/2 cup milk
1/3 cup cocoa
2 cups sugar
2 cups quick cooking oatmeal
1/3 cup peanut butter
1 tablespoon vanilla
Dash of salt
Melt butter and cocoa in saucepan. Add sugar and milk. Bring to a full rolling boil, let boil 1 minute. Remove from heat and add oatmeal, peanut butter, and vanilla. Drop by spoonfuls on waxed paper. Makes 3-4 dozen.

2 comments:

pinks said...

I never thought about the other men and women not being prayed for. I'm so glad God revealed this to you and then to me through your words.

Its so true He gets a good laugh when we tell Him our plans... I'm the worst at laying it down and letting go just to pick it back up again 5 minutes later. I'm struggling with relinquishing control to Him concerning a broken relationship. I have yet to hear from God about whether or not it is to remain that way.

Thank you again for your words and sharing your recipe. :)

Nani's Place said...

Dear One,
God is the keeper of all things most precious...i.e. relationships. So, that is where you leave the things that are most precious...at the foot of the cross. Trust God's timing for He is the healer of hearts. One of the toughest things is trying to reconcile with someone who is not present on this earth. A very wise and godly woman saw my struggle and she said, "Tell Jesus and He will tell the person." What a relief! I did just that. Pray that healing comes...sometimes when we do all we can do, then we have to trust God with the rest. He is fantastic at the details! Hugs and blessings and thanks so much for your kind words about my blog.