Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Goodbye Routine! Hello, Change! - Recipe - Pineapple Congealed Salad

Yesterday was our last official "class" day with BSF...sigh...this has been a fantastic year of study. As I mentioned in a recent post, our class gathered to celebrate our time together with a fellowship luncheon. Everyone brought a different kind of salad to share. After the lunch, we gathered in the den of one of our classmate's beautiful home. One by one each member shared a passage from Isaiah that was special to her and the reason the scripture was special.






It is a given that these ladies are precious women of God, but each disclosure brought us closer and closer to one another. God had done mighty things in the hearts of our group during this study of the book of Isaiah. We are no longer strangers...we were all overcomers of some kind and in some way. It has been a blessing to be in the company of these ladies.


In the past my normal routine after a 9-month time of intensive study, I would look at May with great anticipation. The summer months were a break from in-depth study and homework. Already, I would have begun the search and discovery of newly released Christian books.
However, for the past year, God has been dealing with the idea of "planning and routine." Here lately, it seems that my life's routine has been comprised of one change after the other. God is not allowing me to get "comfortable" in any area of my life. With each change that has occurred, the routine now is to make my life more open and my time more available to Divine Interruptions.


One Divine Interruption came by way of one of our close friends. In the past few months, our friend had been caregiving her mother who was dying of cancer. Everything else in our friend's life had been put on hold. Shortly after her mom died, our friend mentioned that she had really missed being in a Bible study this year. It didn't take long for me to realize that this was a Divine Interruption of my summer routine. After several trips to a Christian bookstore, we settled on a study. Our friend and I thought of several people we felt that might want to join us in this study. After talking with them, they all agreed. It was as though God had hand-picked these ladies and they were just waiting to be asked to join in the study.


For the first time in a long time, I will be facilitating a ladies' Bible study in our home. And you know what? I am excited about this change in routine! It has been many years since our home has been the meeting place for a ladies' Bible study. Our group decided to participate in Beth Moore's study of "Esther." I can't wait to get started in this study! Would cherish your prayers as our little band of ladies journey through this study this summer.


I am learning to say "Goodbye, Routine!" and "Hello, Change!" Embracing change is a good thing! Has your schedule become an idol to you? Do you find that you are resentful of interruptions in your day...in your schedule...in your life? What is God saying to you? What is God asking you to do? Are you listening?
When I was unable to post the recipe I promised previously, I felt I had let you, my readers, down. Then, last night when I was unable to post at all, I really felt like "Queen Loser!" I do not mind surrendering to God, but I hate surrendering to pain. Would appreciate prayers for discernment for my doctor to find the cause of the pain in my back rib area.

Enough about that!!!!!


The following recipe is one at least 50 years old! It is one of those recipes that every Southern lady made as part of a salad luncheon menu or for a special dessert. I requested this congealed salad in lieu of birthday cake! Really!!! My mom put marachino cherries in the mold to add a special touch.



"Pineapple Congealed Salad"


Ingredients:
1 (20 oz) can of crushed pineapple


2/3 cup sugar


2 envelopes of unflavored gelatin


1 c grated mild cheddar cheese


8 oz. Cool Whip (I have also used Heavy Whipping Cream on special occasions)


juice of 1 lemon


Options: you may add chopped pecans and Marachino Cherries in the base of the mold











Mix the crushed pineapple, suga and unflavored gelatin


in a sauce pan and bring to a boil. Set aside to cool.


It is important to wait until this mixture is completely


cooled before adding the next ingredients.
When mixture is completely cooled, add Cheddar cheese, Cool Whip and lemon juice.




Place in a prepared mold and cool in refrigerator (overnight)


When congealed salad is set, you can invert mold and serve your salad on lettuce leaves. I served these individual servings on The Pampered Chef Simple Addition rectangle platter using romaine lettuce leaves as a base. You can also pour this congealed salad into an 8 x 8-inch container and cut into serving size squares before placing on your serving platter. Be creative in your garishments! This is a tasty recipe and I promise you will be asked to share the recipe. Please do share! Also, I think you can make this sugar-free by substituting Splenda for the sugar and using sugar-free Cool Whip.





















































No comments: