Monday, May 2, 2011

Day Going As Planned vs Teasing the Hair on a Cat's Back

There are those days in your life that you think you might be living lines from a classic novel..."It was the best of times...it was the worse of times..." You might think, "Oh my!" Please don't be sad, really. There is always good, if we wait...wait...wait...oh, yes, we wait...and then we see it. Wonder why we might have missed it altogether? Does the name, "Hennie Penny" come to mind? Just asking...
One of my sometimes favorite authors (except when his writing steps on my toes) is Oswald Chambers. You might remember one of his writings, "Utmost for His Highest." The man truly has the gift of stating the obvious...but at the time, it is not so obvious to you...that is, until you read it, let the Holy Spirit move you from the "Hennie Penny" stage to a listening child of God.
Oswald Chambers wrote, "God knows you don't know what you are doing to do, the only thing you know is that God knows what He is doing...it is this attitude that keeps you in perpetual wonder - you do not know what God is going to do next."
I love my husband. He is truly the most wonderful man I know. Just this morning I told him why I love him so much. If you haven't taken the time to express "why" you love your spouse, it is a wonderful gift you give him/her. And, it a great reminder to you when your day is interrupted by his/her plans.
My plans for today were not all that critical, truly. It was just that I had "really" wanted to get some things done. My calendar was out in plain view. My "to-do" list on the counter BESIDE the calendar AND importantly the places I need to go today were circled in purple! How much more determined can one get? Told you I was a planner!
However, bathing our 15 lb. Schnauzer was not on my schedule. May I tell you that combing and cutting this precious creature of God is akin to attempting to tease the hair on a cat's back. My legs have scratches to prove it. Each time she jumped down from my lap and ran into the bedroom, my cherisher brought her "dutifully" back and deposited her into my lap (which was already soaked from detangler and lavender shampoo. A girl needs to smell good even if she is a dog! To say the day when downhill from there would not be true. It just didn't go as planned.
Making room for God in your day is a good thing. There is the phone calls you don't expect to receive but need to receive. There are the unexpected encounters that you didn't expect - but God had planned a divine appointment. Who knew I would meet a rodeo clown having a pedicure? Does God have a sense of humor or what? This godly young man (I don't think) expected to meet a prayer warrior at a nail salon - think that about made us even.
Yesterday in a sermon the pastor said that he knew where satan fell when he fell from Heaven. He was quite sure that satan fell directly into this pastor's daytimer. A lot of people laughed at that comment. Thinking that they had may have had the same experience with their scheduling. Tomorrow I am going to set tentative plans for my day. But, I am going to try and work at leaving the day open for God's divine interruptions. Tonight I am going to thank God for interrupting my day today and ask for listening ears and seeing eyes tomorrow for His movement and His invitation to join Him. Scarlett O'Hara may have had it right after all..."Tomorrow is another day."
Am apologizing up front that I do not have a photo of the recipe for today. With my cherisher out of town and my single neighbor next door (he confessed to me last night that he had to join a gym. Guess I have gone overboard on the homemade bread), is the reason I didn't make this tonight. Both these wonderful men are my members of my test kitchen staff. Trust me, though this is a tasty recipe and one that is easy to do. It originated from a fine Texas lady who was most willing to share her original recipe with me. Thanks, Peg!
Here is the recipe for Seafood Pasta:
Ingredients:
2 tablespoons of olive oil
3/4 cup chopped onion (use PC's food chopper - amazing!!)
1/4 cup each of red and green pepper (chopped)
2 large cloves of garlic (using PC's garlic press)
2 large ripe tomatoes (peeled and chopped - use PC's serrated peeler)
1/2 teaspoon each of salt and ground pepper
1 lb. shrimp, scallops or crab
16 oz. angel hair pasta
Freshly grated Parmesan Cheese (use PC's new microplane grater)
In a large skillet heat oil then add onion, garlic and red & green peppers. Saute' until glossy. Add tomatoes, seasoning and seafood and cook over medium heat for about 5 minutes. While seafood is cooking, in a separate pot cook pasta according to package directions. Once pasta is done, drain and transfer to a large serving platter. Spoon or ladle the seafood sauce on top of the pasta and sprinkle with freshly grated Parmesan Cheese. To save a few steps, you can also use our brand spanking new Manual Food Processor to chop the onions and peppers. If you have not seen or own this new product, well, bless your heart! It is the perfect addition and helpmate to your kitchen - whether at home or at a campsite. It needs no electricity. Now is that amazing or what?

2 comments:

C. said...

Those distractions can definitely lead to blessings...and sometimes just when we need to hear them most. NOW...because you have a clear schedule for the evening, perhaps you could call your daughter. ;) Love you, mom.

Unknown said...

Sometimes, at first, I'm annoyed with these Divine Interruptions, but usually, in the end, I've ended up with a whole bunch of blessings. Are you linking up with SDG this week? Maybe that was on your to-do list? :)