Wednesday, May 25, 2011

It's A Wrap! Chili-Lime with Cream Jalapeno Sauce

One of my favorite things to do at night is to prepare my Honey's lunch for the next day. Trying to keep the mystery in our marriage, I like to change it up and surprise him. Last night I concocted a wrap that included chicken breast that had been coated in olive oil and then generously sprinkled our newest rub, "Chili-Lime." It is a very versital rub that works well on any meat. I have even used it on a box lunch that had turkey sandwich meat. It definitely added life to that lunch! In the photo to the right is the ingredients I used for his Chili-Lime and Jalapeon Sauce wrap. Please note that bright and shiny tomatoe is our first crop of the season! Granted it is only one, but we were thrilled to see it spring forth from the plant. I wonder if my grandparents got this excited about a tomato plant. Guess if at that point if you had seen one tomato plant, well, you know...




This chicken was coated with olive oil and then sprinkled generously with our Chili Lime Rub. Grill until done.
Let me just tell you here and now that the are great as a main course served with a salad and any other side you choose...except chocolate and that just wouldn't be right, now would it?

What I love about this recipe is that it is really one that you can throw healthy to the wind if you have a mind to or you can trim it down, like I did. The tortillas are made with Olive Oil and you can find them in the deli section of your grocery - or least that is where they tend to keep them at my HEB.

Here is the tortilla (made with Olive Oil) covered in the Creamy Jalapeo Sauce. I layered it with baby spinach, thinly sliced fresh mushrooms, sliced HOMEGROWN tomato, then added chicken. Topped stack of delicibles with a divided slice of monterey jack cheese.
Adding the mushrooms was an extra surprise, but hey, that's what keeps the mystery in the marriage, right? Have received kudos from my man that it was a mightly manly sandwich but was also mighty tasty.


The recipe for tonight is for the Creamy Jalapeno Dip/Sauce. Like I said, this is one special recipe. Not only can it spice up a wrap, or be used as a dipping sauce, a salad dressing and it is fantastic on grilled fish like talaphia. Is your mouth watering yet? Mine sure is!

You will note that in the recipe there is a note as to how you can make it more healthier version. The recipe serves 8-10 people. What I recommend is our manual food processor to chop the jalapenos, cilantro, and chiles. I used our blender because I doubled the recipe.Here you go, ready or not!

1 1/3 cup mayonaise (we use low-fat)

1/3 cup buttermilk (2%)

1/3 cup chopped jalaopeno peppers

1/3 cup canned green chiles (chopped)

1/3 cup cilantro

1 (1 oz) packet dry ranch dressing mix (Buttermilk flavor)

1 tsp. garlic powder (this is not enough for us - you may want to tweak it to your taste)

1 tsp. lime juice
Chop jalapeno peppers first, the process cilantro. Add chiles and process. The add the remaining ingredients. If you are using it as a dip, we like the Tia Rosa Chips from HEB. They really are awesome. However, if you want a healthier choice, you can cut whole wheat tortillas into wedges, place on cookie sheet, brush with oil. Lightly salt and bake at 400 degrees until crisp. Enjoy!
Now the lunch is ready to pack. I've included the healthier version of chips, a PC prep bowl of sauce so he can dip his chips and wrap (also added a bag of chips to share with his co-workers), a diet coke, mini-oreos, grapes and oh yes, the wrap. The green note with the heart on it??? That tradition started long ago in a land far, far away. Not knowing what kind of day they were having, thought it would help to know that they were pretty spectualar in my book! So, each day I packed our children's lunches for school. I would always include a love note for them to find as they munch on their lunches. Keeping the tradition alive, I use a brightly colored 4 x 6 card. What did the note say? Well, wouldn't you like to know! And, I might add...our kids have grown into some pretty spectular adults! Couldn't be more proud of them!

No comments: